The Village of Bexley was incorporated in 1908 when the neighborhoods of Bullit Park to the north and Pleasant Ridge to the south combined. The neighborhood became a city after reaching 5,000 residents by 1929 with its beginnings rooted in Columbus’ academia at Capital University which relocated there as early 1876. Today, over 14 thousand strong calls this small town home!
In the early 1900s, residents north of Town Street and in the university area felt a need for controlled growth. In 1906, R.H Jeffrey led an exclusive residential community with houses that were restricted to just those who had money or prestige -and they set rigid building restrictions which is what made their development so successful! Later on in 1907 when there was another group called Pleasant Ridge Improvement Association founded by University students; its founders pledged to organize and develop this flourishing community by building roads and cinder sidwalks–a precursor of today’s modern developments.